About Me

My photo
always changing, never consistent

Monday, January 2, 2012

auld lang syne

so as it turns out, blogging faced the same fate as all of my other miserable journals - tossed aside until stumbled upon quite some time later... i can't tell you how many old journal/diaries of mine i have found recently, only to open them up and read the embarrassing banter of a younger self... my most recent find: journal of my fourteen year old self after moving to brazil... the pages adorned with "why do my parents hate me... i hate my parents... life seems so pointless right now... etc".... i wanted to die. unlike the normal half written attempt of a journal i normally find laden with "so this time i'll really write," (only to succumb to my own disinterest and reconfirm the same promise six months later) this journal was fully written in, cover to cover. it was so embarrassing i couldn't even bring myself to read full entries. there is nothing worse than finding an old journal and reading the ridiculous things i decided to write about during that time... when i was probably about nine i remember thinking i would start keeping a real journal, but i would write it as if someone, someday was going to read it... because for some reason i thought i was going to be like anne frank (minus the whole religious persecution and all that jazz)... so basically just a journal people would want to read in the future... so basically nothing like anne frank, at all.

over christmas break i ended up, to my dismay, finding three old journals while we were cleaning out old storage containers, and let me tell you, i was apparently a deeply emotional child... needless to say, all of the journals found their way to a burning pile of trash... 

since it is a new year, for old times' sake,  it only seems appropriate to give this another shot... "this time i'll really write"... 

happy new year! year 2012, you've got some big shoes to fill.

[photo by serend1p1tyx: those are not my feet]